The things most of us love to do with our phones is also the things that can use the most data: stream music and video. It's important to understand this if you want to stay in control of your data usage and spend.
Detailed below are some industry averages to keep you informed on how to get the best from your plan.
- Low quality is typically 96kbps. On average, Low-quality audio streaming uses 0.72MB per minute or 43.2MB per hour.
- Normal quality is 160kbps. Normal-quality music streaming uses 1.20MB per minute or 72MB per hour on average.
- High quality music is 320kbps. High-quality streaming music uses 2.40MB per minute or 115.2MB per hour on average.
- Low quality - 240p or 320p. Low-quality settings will use about 0.3GB (300MB) per hour.
- SD quality video is standard 480p video. SD-quality video uses about 0.7GB (700MB) per hour.
- HD quality video is between 720p and 2K (remember, the app adjusts the stream). HD-quality video uses about 0.9GB (720p), 1.5GB (1080p) and 3GB (2K) per hour.
- UHD quality video uses a lot of data. A 4K stream uses about 7.2GB per hour.